20 Sept 2014

Meet LASU Best Graduating Student; Says he Puts God First

Ajayi Iseoluwa, 24, is the best graduating student of the Lagos State University in the 2012/2013 academic session, having finished with a CGPA of 4.67 from the Department of Electronics and Computer Engineering. He tells Punch's Tunde Ajaja about how he emerged the best:

What attracted you to engineering?
I’ve always had a flair for mathematics and I love to proffer solutions to people’s needs. I imagined many things in my childhood days and as I grew older, I just knew engineering was my preferred choice. I read a story on Dr. Philip Emeagwali, a renowned scientist, when he invented some micro-processors, and it was a great motivation for me, so much that I kept a copy of that page. When the time came for me to choose a course, I prayed about it and since God gave me the go ahead, I was completely convinced that I was on track.

When did you start leading your class?
By the end of 100 level, I was already the best student in my department, faculty and my level. By God’s grace, I finished every session as the best student in my set.
Did you take any decision as a fresh student that helped you eventually?
In a way, I made a special decision as a fresh student. The same one I always make wherever I go. The same policy that I have always believed in: God first and never settle for mediocrity, and that was influenced by my little experiences in life, academically and in other areas.

Did you have such brilliant performance in your previous schools?
I was the best student in my primary and secondary schools, and even when I did common entrance examination then, I had the best score. In my JSSCE and SSCE, I had distinction in all my subjects, which made me the best student in all. UTME was not left out, I wrote it once and passed, so there was no delay in securing admission.

That’s impressive. One would naturally think you were a genius or that it runs in the family.
Well, maybe it runs in the family, but it is by the grace of God that we have been able to achieve one or two things academically. Asking if I am a genius or a product of hard work limits the scope of my answer. Permit me to go outside the scope by clearly stating that I am completely a product of grace. How else would one describe a graduating set that produced only 12 first class students out of the 9,157 total graduands from the 10 faculties we have and I emerged the overall best? Nothing but the abundant grace of God could make that possible. I give God all the glory.

You must have done certain things differently. What were the things you did to emerge the best?
The Faculty of Engineering in LASU is one of the best in Nigeria, hence, one had to be up and doing to survive. In all sincerity, I read like every other serious student. Some of my friends even thought I was reading some imaginary textbooks because of the understanding I had but those who were close to me knew that I also read the same materials available to all of us. I have an understanding that whatever your hand finds to do, you should do it with your might. Well, I was taught to do whatever I set to do with seriousness.

Did you hear stories that could be discouraging when you resumed school?
Stories of discouragement and fear are normal, more so, in my prestigious institution that hardly produces first class for so many reasons. The most important thing is never to allow another man’s negative testimony or experience set barriers/limitations for you. Every man has his own path to follow. I chose the path of total confidence in the God that gave me previous successes and optimism from my very first day.

Was it in your plan to be the best graduating student when you got admission?
Sincerely, I thought of it from the very first day and never stopped dreaming of it. I imagined a lot of things about the day. My motivation came from the past successes God gave me and I knew somehow, He was still going to do it if I put Him first as always, and I did.

What was your lowest grade?
That was my first semester due to a very low grade in a 3-unit course; it was a mass failure and very terrible result. I had E in the course and that had a big negative effect on my GP. I had to start building on that GP every semester.

What time did you invest in sleeping and studying per day?
I did not have a fixed number of studying or sleeping hours but two things were certain; consistency from the start of the semester and the number of hours I read increased as examination got closer but I made sure I slept every day.

Were you involved in other school activities?
Yes, I was involved in other things. I was very active in campus fellowship, serving as an executive for four sessions. Though it was demanding combining it with my academics, I look back today and I have no regrets at all. I was also an executive in the Society of Petroleum Engineers and a participating member in my department’s body.

When was the best time for you to study?
I did not have any special reading time. I read at any time I was free or felt refreshed.

At what point did you know you would be the best graduating student?
I knew I was the best graduating student when I received a call from a staff of the school. Before then, I knew I was the best student in the Faculty of Engineering but I didn’t know about the nine other faculties. I only hoped it would be the best CGPA. When I received the call, all I could do was just to thank God for making it possible. I was happy but I was not at home, so I could not shout the way I would have wanted. When I got home, you could imagine the ecstasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment